New Little Life
Birth Doula, Lactation Counselor, Birth and Bereavement Doula
Placenta Encapsulation is the process of dehydrating and encapsulating the placenta for consumption. The tradition of ingesting this organ has been practice for centuries in various cultures across the globe. There are several ways to consume the placenta including raw, in smoothies, in various cooking dishes, however, the most common method in western culture is to dehydrate and encapsulate it. Once the placenta is prepared, cooked, and dehydrated, it is ground and placed in capsules which can be easily swallowed just like any other supplement.
Benefits of Placenta Encapsulation
There are few scientific studies regarding the benefits of placenta consumption, but this tradition has been practice for centuries. Frequently reported benefits include:
- Hormone stabilization including:
- Increase of the hormone oxytocin, which helps the uterus return to normal size, decreases bleeding, and encourages bonding with the infant
- Increase in CRH, a stress-reducing hormone
- Decrease in postpartum depression levels and baby blues
- Restoration of iron levels in the blood
- Increase in milk production
- Natural postpartum pain relief
Is placenta consumption safe?
If the placenta is processed, stored, and taken correctly and with common sense, there is little to no risk involved. The great thing about using your own placenta capsules instead of over the counter supplements or medications is that this was created by you and for you! Your own hormones, your own iron, nothing else (aside from a few optional herbs) is added. However, it should be treated like a supplement and taken with care and discretion.
If you experience negative side effects listed below, you can decrease the dose or contact your encapsulation specialist and/or primary care provider.
- increased vaginal bleeding
- increased anxiety or depression
- any other symptoms that worry you
It is NOT recommended to consume the placenta for the following:
- Mother has a uterine infection
- Heavy smoking or drug use during pregnancy
- Some genetic disorders
- Placentas that are sent to pathology
Storing Placenta Products and Shelf Life
The capsules will come with storage instructions clearly labeled on the bottle. It is recommended to store them in a dry, room temperature place for the first 6 weeks postpartum. Storing them in the refrigerator (a high humidity environment) can cause mold. New Little Life capsules contain a silica gel packet to help with humidity control due to the local humid climate. After 6 weeks, they can be transferred to a ziplock freezer bag and stored in the freezer for up to 2 years.
If you have remaining capsules after your immediate postpartum period is over, you can save them to use during your first postpartum menstrual cycle, send them to be included in remembrance jewelry (other popular items for jewelry inclusion are breastmilk and a lock of hair), or use anytime you feel you need the extra benefits provided by placenta encapsulation.
Find articles and information here!
Placenta Encapsulation Services
With New Little Life placenta encapsulation services, here’s what you can expect.
- Initial consultation to discuss fees, sign contract, and answer questions/concerns you may have.
- On call availability around your due date. Organ pick up can be scheduled or arrangements can be made to store placenta at your birth place until you are discharged. (Ask about a discount for non-pick up because I’d prefer not to transfer your placenta if possible, however I do have the capabilities of doing so)
- Placenta processing in YOUR home. Careful and thorough sanitizing techniques are practiced before AND after processing to ensure no cross contamination. I do not store or process your placenta in my own home.
- You will receive packaged and labeled capsules with instructions on intake, storage, and quantity within 72 hours.
- Other add-on options include:
- Umbilical cord keepsake (no extra charge)
- Placenta and cord watercolor print
- Raw method placenta preparation if desired, complete or partial.
Placenta EncapsulationSteamed, TCM method
- **Doula clients receive a $50 dollar discount.**
- Service includes pick up of placenta, preparation in your home, labeled capsules with instructions for use and storage (yield varies depending on placenta size), umbilical cord keepsake (if available), and continued support postpartum with any additional questions/concerns.
* I am a placenta encapsulation specialist, not a licensed pharmacist or health care provider. I respect the placenta and think it brings value to the postpartum healing period, however, this is not intended to prevent or treat medical conditions. I provide the service of preparing this organ for consumption to be used at your own discretion and am not liable for misuse or potential side effects.